Thursday, February 18, 2010

Is it a good idea or not to paint ceiling?

I'm remodeling my den and one of the project is painting, I have popcorn ceiling which I hate, I would like to know if painting it the same color as the walls is a good idea or would it look tacky? also would painting the ceiling the same color as the walls make the room look smaller? I plan on painting a dark cream color. Thanks for any advice.Is it a good idea or not to paint ceiling?
Hi, if the ceiling has never been painted before, I would scrape the popcorn off using a putty knife. If it's been painted before, it's still possible, but much harder. It won't be smooth enough to just have a flat painted ceiling though, you would have to hire someone (A drywaller or painter that does this) to texture it with a modern texture, like knock down, or splatter etc. They could also do the scraping, but to save money you could do it. Using the new textures totally updates a house and helps for resale. Good luck!Is it a good idea or not to paint ceiling?
If that ceiling's not been painted, you can take of the popcorn very easily with a wide putty knife. A perfectly flat surface will show every flaw, so you need to do something to it. You can buy ';orange peel'; texture in spray cans at the big box hardware stores. Practice on something before you spray the ceiling. You can also buy heavier texture, spray it on, then ';knock it down'; or do another effect by dragging the putty knife or a float across the surface. You need to do the ceiling before you do the walls and trim. Make sure everything is either removed from the room or very well covered with drop cloths, plastic, etc., including the floor. YOU can do this. It will just take a little patience and experimentation.
I painted my oldest sons room a brown, and he wanted the ceiling painted but the room is small as it is and now it looks even smaller. I wish I never painted the ceiling, when he wants a change I will change it back to white or a lighter color.
Personal preference.





I HATE white ceilings, and mine are all painted different colors, determined by the color of the individual rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment