Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The paint on my ceiling has started to peel, what should I do?

The ceiling needs painting, I do not want to line the ceiling with paper.The paint on my ceiling has started to peel, what should I do?
Sounds like the ceiling wasn't sealed before it was painted. Scrape off all the loose paint then seal with PVA and repaint 2 coats of emulsion.The paint on my ceiling has started to peel, what should I do?
You can try sticking it back with UVH or whatever it's called- Then paint it.
So paint it again
scrape the peeling paint off and repaint it.
Use sandpaper to sand off the peeling paint (this will smooth the edges between the sound paint and the gaps), then paint with a roller rather than a paintbrush (unless you're handy with a paintbrush or you don't mind brush marks on the ceiling!)
find out why its peeling, no point in painting until you know the answer to that, if there is an underlying issue you haven't addressed then priming first will make no difference, primer is not a magical cure (despite what people say) for your ceiling, a paint job is only as good as the preparation, and never use P.V.A as a sealer for water based paints its a bad idea emulsion has a difficult job sticking to any surface P.V.A has been applied too.
`Richie dc` is correct...you`ll have to sand ( electric sander is best,,,just take the flaky bits off, there is no need to take it down to the plaster) ,use a corse sand paper then prime with PVA ( PRIMER, available at any hardware store) then paint.........dead easy.
depends on the room..





bathroom + kitchen.. u need decent ventilation due to steam etc





if its one of them, perhaps fit a decent extractor fan(s)


other than that get better hard waring paint..





most ceilings I have now I don't line, I just paint after they are properly plastered with MATT vinyl emulsion..
sand it, then paint with a primer first, and then a noral paiint so it wont happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment