Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Should I paint the slanted ceiling area and soffit in my Kitchen white like the ceiling or the wall color?

The kitchen opens up to the dining area and there is a beam that separates the rooms. Both rooms are the same color. The beam is painted the wall color. The soffit runs along the beam, to the ceiling. The slanted area is over the range. The ceilings are 9ft in the kitchen.Should I paint the slanted ceiling area and soffit in my Kitchen white like the ceiling or the wall color?
The general rule in new construction is if it runs vertical paint it the wall color and horizontal, the ceiling color. Run a piece of masking tape to give you a clean line at the transitions and it should look pretty good.Should I paint the slanted ceiling area and soffit in my Kitchen white like the ceiling or the wall color?
I had a similar situation and didn't know what was the norm. Since my contractor was hired to prime all walls and paint ceilings white, I began with it white. When I got my wall color on and looked at it for a few days, it just didn't look right being white. I painted it and it looks much better the wall color.
How about a third color? If you don't like it, you can always repaint.
the wall color.
If you want the space to look larger I would paint it the wall colour because you will have less breaks in colour and more flow creates the appearance of more space. One thing that I have done in many spaces is paint soffits one or too shades darker than the wall colour, it add depth and interest to the space and it is so subtle that people usually are unsure if it is a different paint colour or just the way the light is hitting the room. In fact it is so subtle I like to go two shades usually.
I would go with a accent color if you don't like repaint it is only paint
I would paint it the same color as the wall. Or for additional visual interest, a complimentary color.

No comments:

Post a Comment