Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Type of paint to use for painting over ';ceiling paint'; and cracks?

I want/need to repaint my apartment, because the walls are currently painted with white ';ceiling paint'; and the day I moved in all of the walls got covered in scratches and scrapes. Are there special techniques/paints/primers that I need, because a neighbor told me the paint on all the walls is ';ceiling paint'; and that's why they are so easily damaged. I have 10ft high walls, and have noticed some cracks near the top, should I also be doing anything in particular for those?





Thank you!Type of paint to use for painting over ';ceiling paint'; and cracks?
Presuming that the ';ceiling paint'; is water-based, any water based paint will adhere to it. I recommend paints that are 100% acrylic - they have almost no odour at all when applied, are exceptionally durable and washable, and are easy to work with %26amp; clean up from. Just so you know, the only real difference between regular paint %26amp; ceiling paint is that ceiling paint has no shine or gloss (it is just ';flat'; paint), making it fragile and impossible to clean or maintain.





If you really want to address the cracks properly, you'll have to plaster them. If you've never done plaster work before, you might be in for a bit of a challenge. All plaster should be primed before painting. The primer stops the plaster from absorbing the paint and gives the paint a more uniform surface to be applied onto.Type of paint to use for painting over ';ceiling paint'; and cracks?
I would buy some Joint Compound to fill in the cracks and any nail/screw holes. I usually alway buy Kiltz, a base coat and then the color coat.


I have found that Walmart has everything I need
as a painting contractor i can tell you the difference between wall and ceiling paint is that the ceiling paint dries flatter to hide any imperfections in the ceiling, many contractors who paint apartments spray the ceiling and walls at once to save time.if you want to repaint just get some spackle and patch the holes and cracks,sand them when dry and tpocoat the walls with an acrylic paint , you really dont need to prime as the ceiling paint is a latex and its already on the wall so consider that your prime coat and just paint over it ,and youll be just fine
  • codes for myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment