Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Will my new ceiling paint get brighter when it dries?

I'm painting the ceiling in one of our rooms, but when I paint it appears darker than the original white color. I purchased bright white latex ceiling paint but after doing the trim last night, today even after 12 hours of drying it seems darker than the original white ceiling paint.Will my new ceiling paint get brighter when it dries?
i think it will dry darkerWill my new ceiling paint get brighter when it dries?
All whites are different. After all, they are all really just a very pale color of some type. By the 12-hour mark, the color will pretty much have cured, you won't likely notice any color change after that.





However, I would hazzard a guess that once the entire ceiling is done and you lose the contrast with the old paint, you won't notice the slight tint difference between the old white and the new white.





Another (although less likely) possibility is that the last person who painted the ceiling used a higher gloss level (ceiling paint is usually very flat to hide flaws, unless it's in a bathroom or kitchen). If they used a satin and you used a flat, it could appear darker because it's reflecting less light.





Hope that helps.
Paint has a tendency to dry darker. Whether you use a white or a color. Sometimes you tine the primer it helps...you may want to try that. But I wouldn't count on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment