Sunday, February 21, 2010

I want to paint my ceiling what kind of paint do i use?

i would like to paint my ceilling its an off white now but it was never finished. and i want to finish. i want to get the paint that allows me to be able to clean sometimes i get grease and sauce on my ceilings. and i like to dust. i know there is a paint taht when i use a washcloth to clean my wall and the paint rubs off if you scrub hard enough on the wall. i really want something shiney white and hardy towards me cleaning and spraying grease cleaner to clean up messes. like 409 or lysol my specialties.I want to paint my ceiling what kind of paint do i use?
I found that using a good semi-gloss paint does the trick for me. I go with either Dutch Boy or Behr for the best results...it's durable and scrubbable.I want to paint my ceiling what kind of paint do i use?
You have to buy ';ceiling paint';. They sell it at any paint store.


Try:


Glidden


Harris Paints


Sherwin Williams


Home Depot


Walmart.
A satin, semi or glossy finish is scrubbable. Latex is perfect for this job because all ceiling paint is, is flat latex paint that has a little extra water to make it lighter. They just call it ceiling paint to suck those few extra bucks from the unsuspecting consumer.
Wal Mart ceiling paint; latex is not scrubbable; oil based is but after 30 days. If you want shiny get gloss oil based off white or ceiling white.. Tell them what you want and explain to them just like you did here.
You must get really enthusiastic when you cook.





Get a white semi-gloss or glossy finish latex paint, and you'll be fine. These dry to a smooth finish, and are easier to clean.





Actually, if you're really worried about it, look for paint specifically made to use in a bathroom. It's made to resist moisture and be easy to clean.
The shiny paint you are talking about that is the easiest to clean is high gloss paint, whether it be in latex or in oil paint. You should also choose to use kitchen %26amp; bathroom paint, as it is resistant to moisture and mold and is very easy to clean, especially if you go with a high gloss finish.





There are some steps you'll need to take first, since you likely have some grease already there. Here's how to go abou it to do it right:





1. Wash the entire surface with liquid TSP. You'll find it at your local hardware store. TSP will remove all grease and grime which will keep your paint from sticking properly.


2. Prime the surface with an oil-based primer. I suggest either Bull's Eye 1-2-3 or Kilz. You'll only need one coat.


3. Let the paint dry completely.


4. Apply 2 coats of paint, either latex or oil-based as either one can be applied on top of oil primer. I prefer latex... easier to clean up after :). Let each coat dry completely between coats.





Finished! Just keep in mind that when you use high gloss paint, it shows all the defects in the wall. So if you want, you can use teflon paint semi-gloss and you will also easily be able to clean it. As long as you keep away from matte, eggshell, satin, cashmere and suede finish paints, you'll be fine and will be able to continue cooking up a storm!
Just pick up a high gloss latex in the color of your choice. When I had the interior of my house painted, I had them use a gloss in my kitchen, bathrooms and mud room so they could be washed down if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment